Exciting Speakers Announcement: Shelter Participating. Book Tickets Now
ACTION ON HOMES FESTIVAL OF IDEAS SPEAKERS
Speakers & Participants Announcement!
Action on Homes is delighted to announce that joining our packed line-up of speakers for the Action on Homes Festival of Ideas Conference later this month is:
- MP Bob Blackman – Bob is a member of parliament who brought the Homeless Reduction bill to parliament, which later became law. The act itself puts a lot more empathise on the Local Authority to provide interim homelessness relief and a plan out of homelessness.
- Alison Mohammed Shelter – Alison joined Shelter in 2015 from Rethink Mental Illness where she was COO. Her particular interests are in co-production, mental health, organisation development, support for people with no recourse to public funds, and anti-racism. She leads on safeguarding for Shelter.
- Andy Winter – CEO BHT Sussex. Andy Winter is the lead director for BHT Sussex. For decade Andy has led and grown the organisation which does a lot of homelessness, legal and recovery work across Brighton and Hove and Sussex. Andy will bring good insight into what is and is not working within housing and homelessness.
- Hannah Bradburn – Senior Housing Solicitor at Lawstop who has a legal practice here in Brighton and Hove and were successful in high court action against Brighton and Hove City Council for the: Ncube v Brighton and Hove City Council case.
- Tim Worthley – Tim is more than a GP Tim is also someone with a very good grasp on the mental health aspect, for his co-practice Arch healthcare was set up to reform the way we treat the homeless and do a lot of clinical partnership work and help patients in a way other surgeries simply cannot. Arch Healthcare has up to 5000 patients who are either homeless or previously homeless. Tim reaches out across all spectrums to give a voice to the preventable homeless deaths in Brighton and Hove and has been vocal in the press on the issue. Tim will be attending and participating and hopefully speaking. One not to miss!
- Brighton and Hove Coalition Members – David Thomas will be talking about the Homeless Bill of Rights two years after it was adopted in Brighton and Hove. Daniel Harris will be discussing his interactions with those homeless and housed and what his client’s surveys say. Jim Deans Sussex Homeless Support, Jim will give you a unique insight into the frontline of homelessness and poverty.
- Jess and Matt Turtle – Founded Museum of Homelessness.
The Museum of Homelessness, led by our community, does four things:
We make tomorrow’s history by building the national collection for homelessness
We take direct practical action in support of the community
We fight injustice with our independent research and campaigning
We educate on homelessness by working with artists and creatives to make unforgettable art, exhibitions and events.
- Lord Bob Kerslake – Discussing the Progress report into Rough Sleeping and Homelessness services.
- TWO OTHER LOCAL AUTHORITIES DOING THINGS DIFFERENTLY – Exeter and Preston City Council will be represented at the festival of ideas
- Peter Apps – Inside Housing. Peter is a great investigative journalist and will be covering loads of solutions and stuff which can solve the issues.
Who is the action on homes festival of ideas conference for? and how can I get a ticket?
Simply: ANYONE AFFECTED AND/OR INVOLVED
Action on Homes welcomes those with lived experience, survivors, those people unable to gain support, like asylum seekers and those with no recourse to public funds, the LGBTQ+ Community, care leavers, people of colour and those with disabilities and other impairments, young people, key workers and those living in overcrowded, inhabitable homes, renters who share and anyone currently on the council housing register!